Get Your Hurricane Irma Preperation Done Tonight
*The Florida Emergency Information Line is available 24/7 for families& visitors at 1-800-342-3557
The time to start prepping for Hurricane Irma is well past due. But there is still time to do some basic stuff to protect yourself. One of the most important things to do is evacuate to a shelter if you can. A lot of shelters are already full. So make sure you get to this ASAP. If you don’t want to go to a shelter & can’t evacuate an evacuation area here are a few things that you should get done tonight.
- If you have the ability to board up windows do so. But it’s late for this so try to make at least 1 safe room at the minimum.
- Make sure you have drinking water for at least a few days for everyone in your household including your pets. You won’t want them drinking the contaminated water from Hurricane Irma.
- Have food for at least a few days as well. Canned stuff is best as perishable foods will go fast as soon as you lose power.The more the better. Remember to ration what you do have. But keep up your strength.
- Fill up your bathtub so that you have water to flush your toilet.
- Remove everything from your yard that can become a missile. That garden gnome you have can kill someone when it’s thrown at them 140mph
- Make sure your valuables are off the floor. The more important it is the higher it should go.
- Make sure you know all the safe routes to get out of your home. Your usual escape path may be obstructed if the storm knocks down some walls.
- Make sure your cell phone is fully charged. If you have external batteries make sure they are charged as well. Charge up your laptop as well. With a usb charging cable you can charge your phone off that.
- Make sure you have toilet paper.
- If you have a radio make sure that you have batteries for it.
- First aid kit. Be prepared to take care of yourself. This storm is still a monster & there just isn’t going to be enough first responders to go around.
- Have a go bag ready to go. The stuff that you need to survive. A clean change of clothes & your medicine.
- Make sure you have a copy of your insurance policy.
Those are just some things to do. Every house & everybody has different needs. Do your best to make sure your needs are taken care of. Be smart & be safe. Read the .PDF below from FEMA. Good Luck.